Tuesday, March 12, 2013

How to light a candle.. seriously it's an art!

Hey Glammies!
Those of you who have been following my craziness long enough know I have a thing for candles.
Lighting a candle is part of my winding down process after coming back from an exhausting day at work.
My lovely BFF "H" got me 2 cute candles from Bath & Body Works and I've been jumping up and down waiting to try them... then couple days ago while staring at my lit candle it hit me: why are all my candles burning unevenly and I end up having so much wax left unused? (See exhibit A lol)
After some intense googling, I finally found out that there is a special way to light and maintain your candle... who would have thought!!
So here are the steps to make sure your candles burn longer and better:

  1. The first time you light your candle, leave it lit enough to have the liquid wax cover most of the surface, this way it will burn evenly
  2. Always trim the wick of your candle, otherwise it gets long and skewed towards one region and might break. No wonder my flames were never straight!
  3. Avoid air drafts so that the flame is not tilted!
So what I did is that I scraped the sides of my current candle and trimmed the wick.. and it is somehow salvaged! My next candle (the green one) will be the first candle where I respect all rules of good candle-keeping.
See ? we keep learning stuff!!

Salut les Glams!Pour ceux et celles qui me suivent depuis assez longtemps, vous savez que je raffole des bougies parfumées.Cela fait partie de mon rituel du soir pour décompresser après une longue et stressante journée au boulot.Ma copiiiine H m'a offert deux bougies de chez Bath & Body Works et j'ai tout de suite allumé la rouge "Cidre épicé" miammmmm!Après quelques jours, je me suis rendue compte que la plupart de mes bougies ne brûlent pas entièrement, il me reste toujours de la cire (photos à l'appuis ci-dessous hahha)Quelques recherches sur le net et je me suis rendue compte qu'il y a tout un art d'allumer et d'entretenir les bougies! donc je partage avec vous:
  1. Quand on allume la bougie la toute première fois, il faut la laisser brûler assez longtemps pour liquéfier toute la surface de la bougie. Après elle brûlera toujours à plat
  1. De temps en temps couper la mèche de la bougie sinon elle boucle et la bougie fond d'un seule côté
  1. Eviter les courants d'air pour que la flamme soit toujours droite
Ben voilà! maintenant vous aussi vous savez!Donc là j'ai fait de mon mieux pour arranger ma bougie déjà entamée. Pour la prochaine bougie (la verte) je vais suivre ces étapes soigneusement.
awesome gift from my awesome friend H
I always get excited for a new candle!!
Previous casualties among candles :(
Attempt at Fixing my candle
It will not win any beauty awards but at least it will burn longer :)
Lucky untouched candle where I'll finally apply this method from the beginning



No comments:

Post a Comment